The Onesimus Prison Project is a special ministry to those men and women interred in prisons and jails and to the chaplains who minister to them.
Onesimus was a runaway slave who belonged to Philemon, a Christian and a friend of the Apostle Paul’s. Paul sent a letter to Philemon, asking Philemon to forgive Onesimus and receive him. This message of forgiveness and acceptance is a very important one to men and women incarcerated in prison.
The Onesimus Prison Project has three major outreach activities:
- Outreach to prisoners
- Outreach to prison/jail chaplains and other prison/jail ministries
- Outreach via our annual Prophecy Calendar
Outreach to Prisoners
Free religious ad counseling materials are sent to prisoners upon request from either a prisoner or a friend or family member of a prisoner. We send a “prisoner packet” that contains the following materials:
- Father Forgive Them by John McTernan—John McTernan is a retired federal agent who worked for the United States Treasury for 28 years. This booklet preaches a special message of forgiveness, written specifically for prisoners.
- The Road to Victory: A Personal Testimony by David Benoit—Mr. Benoit came through a troubled background to become a preacher. He proves that people can change with salvation in Jesus Christ.
- Can You Understand the Bible? by Larry Spargimino—This valuable booklet outlines a way to meaningfully study the Bible.
- Questions and Answers About Islam—This publication explains the differences between Islam and Christianity and is essential to those in prison because of several Islamic organizations that are proselytizing in U.S. prisons.
- A Christian’s Guide to Prison Survival by David T. Beardsley—Mr. Beardsley was incarcerated in several institutions before becoming a Christian. He gives practical, valuable advice to Christian prisoners on how to get along with inmates and prison guards, how to maintain family ties, how to take advantage of educational opportunities, and how to find eternal life in Jesus Christ.
- Prophecy Calendar—Each year, this popular calendar takes a specific aspect of Bible prophecy and has lessons for each month. Prisoners use these calendars for both Bible study and witnessing.
- King James Bible—Each prisoner receives a complete King James Bible.
Outreach to Chaplains and Other Prison/Jail-Related Ministries
Prison chaplains receive free materials upon request to include in their prison libraries. Pastors can request free material to take to county jail inmates. Other prison and jail ministries can also contact us for free materials to support their ministry efforts.
We send a “prison chaplain packet” that contains the following materials:
- My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers—The most popular book of daily devotions ever published.
- A Christian’s Guide to Prison Survival by David T. Beardsley
- Prophecy Calendar
- King James Bible
- Other books as requested
Southwest Radio Ministry publishes a Prophecy Calendar each year in which a different topic in Bible prophecy is examined. Of the 25,000 calendars printed each year, 10,000 are sent free to prisoners throughout the United States. Prison chaplains give calendars to Christians and non-Christians alike. Prisoners also request them for Bible study and as witnessing tools. This annual calendar is an important tool in our Onesimus Prison Project ministry.
Once again, we send our thanks to you for another donation of a great ministry resource. The box of “A Christian’s Guide to Prison Survival” won’t stay on my shelf long, because our guys love the books that have to do specifically with the prison experience. The DVDs featuring Dr. Hutchings will be used well in our Bible study groups … after I enjoy them myself, that is. Whatever you share with our men is greatly appreciated.
—Rev. Johnny Reasnor, Chaplain
Thank you so much for praying for me. I ask the Lord to continue to bless Southwest Radio Church. It will not be until you get to Heaven that you will know all those who were helped by your ministry.
—David Berkowitz, “Son of Sam”
Blessings to you! Please send me your new Prophecy Calendar. … Over the years your Prophecy Calendars have been so inspiring to me here in prison. Thank you advance. God bless you richly.
—Daryl, prisoner in Norfolk, Massachusetts
Offerings for Onesimus Prison Project
If you feel the Lord leading you to support this important missionary effort to prisoners throughout the United States, we are privileged to have you as our partner in faith.
There are several ways to support our Onesimus Project:
- Online on our website by using your credit card
- Call on our toll-free number: 1-800-652-1144
- Mail in your offering to Southwest Radio Ministries, P.O. Box 76834, Oklahoma City, OK 73147
All offerings and contributions to Southwest Radio Ministries are tax deductible.